Parody Is Fair Use. This is pretty well established in the courts. So, let’s start there.
When the powerful engage in ridiculous behavior, they deserve to be ridiculed.
To that end, I’m offering a $500 bounty for your best game that takes this situation and turns it into parody.
It can be any kind of game – board, card, console, computer, role playing. Heck it can even be a playset, setting or scenario for an existing game (provided you don’t create licensing issues for yourself).
However, it must meet the following criteria:
- It must be a work of parody
- You must release the text, source code, images and any included assets using an open license (Creative Commons, MIT, OGL)
- It must be wholly your own creation (though it may include friendly licensed assets)
- It must parody Space Marines, Games Workshop’s litigation decisions, WH40K or some other aspect of this whole story.
Note: originally there was a criteria that the title had to contain Space Marine. On reflection (after a comment, see below) I’ve moved that to a Bonus Point item. IANAL, and I still believe after what I’ve read that using trademark in parody is legally defendable, but I want to encourage the ridicule of this situation above all. So, you don’t need to call them Space Marines. We all know what you mean, wink wink.
These things will earn you bonus points:
- If it includes open licensed 3D printable minis
- If the art for the game is suitable for donation to, and accepted by, the Prismatic Art Collection
- If I have a printable version of it in my hands by May 23rd so I can run demos at Kublacon
- If it actually has Space Marine/Space Marines in the title
Deadline for submission is July 1, judging will be done by a panel of esteemed judges who I haven’t found yet, winner will be announced on Aug 1 (though if we get overwhelmed by submissions we reserve the right to shift that date a little). Email thinktank at a terrible idea dot com to throw your hat in the ring. Comment here with questions, or hit me up on the twitters.
I’d write one myself, but I’ve got a few other things going on.
In the meanwhile, show your support for the author.
Buy their stuff. Just say thanks.